General update-Monster post

I haven’t been able to write a blog post but I have been crafting. I’ve been preparing for my friend’s birthday which has been a little labor intensive.

I decorated goody bags. They were just plain bags from Joann’s and I glued wrapping paper on it to fit her them. They have pixie dust and marshmallow Mickey heads for favors. I wasn’t able to get a picture of the Mickey heads out of their wrappers because they were devoured.

20140802-234048-85248237.jpg

20140802-234112-85272034.jpg

20140802-234136-85296885.jpg
I made the party hats with Mickey ears. The original idea came from here. I adjusted it to include the Mickey ears. All the stuff to make these came from the dollar store. I bought one pack of 8 regular sized part hats ($1) in 4 colors(silver, gold, green, and red), Two packs of headbands, they came four in a pack of assorted colors ($2) and one sheet of black posterboard ($1). I used hot glue to attach the hats to the headband and I used my X-acto knife to cut slits in hat to place the ears.

20140802-234339-85419399.jpg
And I made two types of cupcakes: Orange poke cake with vanilla cream frosting and Cinnamon cupcakes with cinnamon sugar cream cheese frosting.

20140804-100906-36546938.jpg

20140804-100908-36548373.jpg
I helped her make the Pom Pom poufs Saturday night. This is the dining room set up with the poms.

20140804-101117-36677842.jpg
And also the living room decor with poms.

20140804-101214-36734957.jpg
The party was lovely with a 1950’s vintage Disney theme. I will have to get back to my regular schedule now with a daily post. 🙂 I’ll have to post links later.

20140804-102228-37348779.jpg

20140804-102302-37382697.jpg

20140804-102406-37446485.jpg

And here is Kiki while I was crafting Friday afternoon.

20140804-103206-37926488.jpg

Advertisements

Thrift store dress, Part 2

I was excited to finish my dress so, again, 15 minutes turned into something like 3-4 hours.

I didn’t have much left to do so I jumped right in. I pinned the black sash to the top and pinned a black zipper in that I had lying around. If I’d had the forethought to cut out the zipper, as I stated previously, I wouldn’t be using a coat zipper. -_-

20140730-234310-85390282.jpg

I had a little more trouble with the skirt. I couldn’t decide on how I wanted it to hang so I pinned it several times in different ways to see what I wanted to go with. I finally just decided to go with gathered since I was tired of messing with it. After I pinned it the last time it didn’t take long at all before I was done.

20140730-234607-85567421.jpg

I had to fix the hook and eye at the back closure as well. I was going to replace it because I swear I had hooks and eyes in my sewing box but I couldn’t find any! Not a single one.

I kind of wish the sash was maybe a bit longer or the skirt not so long but it turned out well enough and I have other things I worry about.

20140730-234938-85778165.jpg

This has to be the fastest I’ve ever completed a sewing project, which is pretty awesome but I think it would be the same amount of time squeezed into a smaller timeframe instead of being any faster. It was also already finished parts so really it’s a Frankendress.

I was going to post a picture wearing the dress but it’s late, so instead here is a picture of Kiki.

20140730-235939-86379328.jpg

Thrift store dress, Part 1

My friend’s birthday is this weekend. Her theme is vintage Disney/dapper day at Disney so I needed an outfit.

I had something I could wear but honestly I wanted to wear something new but I did not want to pay full dress price since I’m trying to budget for Dragon Con.

So, of course, I go looking at Goodwill for possible dresses. I like thrift stores. Goodwill helps our community and of course I love the prices, and they have a better selection for my size than the other thrift store in town, Value Village. There are certain things I won’t purchase secondhand like pillows and underwear. I like being thrifty but I have standards.

So the first dress I found could work as it was. It was a good fit and I loved the fabric but having the pattern on the entire dress was a bit much for me. I was also not a fan of the elastic waist. I remember my grandmother wearing a lot of dresses like this about 15 years ago.

20140729-121603-44163508.jpg

I looked a little longer to see if I could find something else or a different shirt for it. I found a different dress with a very similar cut and size that matches one of the colors in the pattern.

20140729-121743-44263301.jpg

The top of the green dress was a little tight so I decided I wanted to splice the dresses together using the top of the patterned one and the bottom of the green with a chunky black fabric piece to look like a belt. I cut the patterned dress in half and turned it inside out to get it ready to pin together and I cut the green dress on half, leaving the zipper down to save it. In retrospect I should have cut the zipper out in its entirety but I didn’t think about the fact that I would be using it attached to the fabric already.

20140729-122056-44456303.jpg

Since I was cutting things apart I wanted the skirt to look fuller as pleats didn’t go with the 1950’s look I envisioned (I also don’t really like pleats). I had to iron the thing out and it took a little bit for me to find the right setting on the iron and process to straighten it out.

I had just cut and sewn together the black fabric belt piece when McGee was meowing outside the door. (I have to keep the kitties out because they will eat anything.) I had been working for a couple hours and figured I could take a break to snuggle him.

20140729-125649-46609644.jpg

Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the dress in another day or so. I have to remind myself to take pictures because it is so easy for me to start working and realize later that I didn’t take any pictures. : /