I was excited to finish my dress so, again, 15 minutes turned into something like 3-4 hours.
I didn’t have much left to do so I jumped right in. I pinned the black sash to the top and pinned a black zipper in that I had lying around. If I’d had the forethought to cut out the zipper, as I stated previously, I wouldn’t be using a coat zipper. -_-
I had a little more trouble with the skirt. I couldn’t decide on how I wanted it to hang so I pinned it several times in different ways to see what I wanted to go with. I finally just decided to go with gathered since I was tired of messing with it. After I pinned it the last time it didn’t take long at all before I was done.
I had to fix the hook and eye at the back closure as well. I was going to replace it because I swear I had hooks and eyes in my sewing box but I couldn’t find any! Not a single one.
I kind of wish the sash was maybe a bit longer or the skirt not so long but it turned out well enough and I have other things I worry about.
This has to be the fastest I’ve ever completed a sewing project, which is pretty awesome but I think it would be the same amount of time squeezed into a smaller timeframe instead of being any faster. It was also already finished parts so really it’s a Frankendress.
I was going to post a picture wearing the dress but it’s late, so instead here is a picture of Kiki.
My friend’s birthday is this weekend. Her theme is vintage Disney/dapper day at Disney so I needed an outfit.
I had something I could wear but honestly I wanted to wear something new but I did not want to pay full dress price since I’m trying to budget for Dragon Con.
So, of course, I go looking at Goodwill for possible dresses. I like thrift stores. Goodwill helps our community and of course I love the prices, and they have a better selection for my size than the other thrift store in town, Value Village. There are certain things I won’t purchase secondhand like pillows and underwear. I like being thrifty but I have standards.
So the first dress I found could work as it was. It was a good fit and I loved the fabric but having the pattern on the entire dress was a bit much for me. I was also not a fan of the elastic waist. I remember my grandmother wearing a lot of dresses like this about 15 years ago.
I looked a little longer to see if I could find something else or a different shirt for it. I found a different dress with a very similar cut and size that matches one of the colors in the pattern.
The top of the green dress was a little tight so I decided I wanted to splice the dresses together using the top of the patterned one and the bottom of the green with a chunky black fabric piece to look like a belt. I cut the patterned dress in half and turned it inside out to get it ready to pin together and I cut the green dress on half, leaving the zipper down to save it. In retrospect I should have cut the zipper out in its entirety but I didn’t think about the fact that I would be using it attached to the fabric already.
Since I was cutting things apart I wanted the skirt to look fuller as pleats didn’t go with the 1950’s look I envisioned (I also don’t really like pleats). I had to iron the thing out and it took a little bit for me to find the right setting on the iron and process to straighten it out.
I had just cut and sewn together the black fabric belt piece when McGee was meowing outside the door. (I have to keep the kitties out because they will eat anything.) I had been working for a couple hours and figured I could take a break to snuggle him.
Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the dress in another day or so. I have to remind myself to take pictures because it is so easy for me to start working and realize later that I didn’t take any pictures. : /